The ‘Preparing for Success’ training programme, through generous support from Ford Thailand, reached out to over 400 girls in rural northeast Thailand. It covered key aspects such as building a positive attitude, practical guidance on post-school career, employment, and training opportunities. This training was conducted as a 3-hour workshop with 10 school groups in five high schools throughout Ubon Ratchathani.
‘Preparing for Success:’ The Guide for a Better Life After School
The aim of the ‘Preparing for Success’ project was to provide free, high-quality training to underprivileged girls in the rural northeast Thailand. This workshop provides the girls with the opportunity to: 1) Complete a self-assessment; 2) Learn about training and further education options post-school; and 3) Find out how to search and apply for jobs.
This project trained 442 teenage girls in rural areas in information and skills they will need for post-schooling success. It also provided them with the opportunity to:
- increase their sense of self-worth,
- gain confidence,
- gain self-understanding, especially of their aspirations,
- find out how to match aspirations to skills, and
- become optimistic and excited about their futures.
We received the following feedback from student participants in the workshops:
- More than 98% highly agreed with the statement: ““I have
gained knowledge and understanding about further education and job search after junior high school/high school.”
- Nearly 99% highly agreed with the statement: “You have more knowledge and understand more about yourself.”
Feedback Comments Provided on Forms by Participants (Translated from Thai):
- “I was happy to join your workshop. Many thanks to all of you for providing me knowledge. I hope you will run it again.”
- “This workshop was fun. I realised what I wanted to be and what my goal was.”
- “I got to know myself better. I realised what my dream job was and I found my goals. I want you to hold another workshop.”
- “I have knowledge from the workshop so that now I know how to follow my dreams. I learned how to further my education and how to make my dream job come true. I want to join such a workshop again.”
- “I learned a lot that I have never known before, especially how to further my education. At first, I was not sure what college/field I wanted to enroll in, but I now got to know myself better, so I gained more confidence in making that decision.”
- “I have learned to investigate the options available for my future and my dreams.”
- “I gained knowledge and got good suggestions on how to further my studies.”
- “I got to learn about how to pick a job and goal for my job so that I can follow my dream.”
- “I got to exchange information with my friends and know how to choose the right path in the future. This could help with my future study and work, and all of us are really grateful for the team that taught us.”
As a result of the workshops, our trainers were able to clarify information about the Thai education system and labour laws to the students. With the essential knowledge, they would be able to make better choices regarding their future when it comes to education and work.