The ‘Preparing for Success’ training programme, through generous support from Socialgiver, reached out to over 100 girls in rural northeast Thailand. It covered key aspects such as building a positive attitude, practical guidance on post-school career, employment, and training opportunities. This training was conducted as a three-hour workshop in two schools in Ubon Ratchathani.
‘Preparing for Success:’ The Guide for a Better Life After School
The aim of the ‘Preparing for Success’ project was to provide free, high-quality training to underprivileged girls in rural northeast Thailand. A hundred and nine teenage girls were provided with training to help them navigate life after high school. The workshop helped them to:
- increase their sense of self-worth,
- gain confidence,
- gain self-understanding, especially of their aspirations,
- find out how to match aspirations to skills, and
- become optimistic and excited about their futures.
We received the following feedback from student participants in the workshops:
- More than 76% highly agreed with the statement: “I have
gained knowledge and understanding about further education and job search after junior high school/high school.”
- More than 72% highly agreed with the statement: “You have more knowledge and understand more about yourself.”
Feedback Comments Provided on Forms by Participants (Translated from Thai):
- “This workshop gave me new knowledge, experience, confidence in planning my future.”
- “Today’s activity taught me new knowledge and I became more confident. The lecture also taught me about educational opportunities and how to achieve my goal.”
- “I got new knowledge about further studies.”
- “Today was really fun and I gained a lot of new knowledge, such as where to study next, and am aware of my dreams and how to achieve them.”
- “I’m very happy to have joined the activity. It allowed me to learn about how to further my education.”
- “Today’s activity helped me understand different careers and which job is right for me.”
- “Today I got new knowledge about choices of jobs and that we should learn what we are good at.”
- “I got new knowledge from the different activities and got to prepare myself for a better future, such as further study.”
- “Today I got to learn about educational opportunities and working with my friends. This helps me become more confident.”
In our workshops, we administer pre- and post-training tests to gauge how well the programme was able to impart knowledge to our training subjects. Often, we find that participants have a serious lack of understanding of further studies and career opportunities going into their first workshop. Following the completion of each workshop, the post-training test outcomes showed that our trainers had successfully imparted key information to the girls, and they became far more knowledgeable about educational opportunities and possible career paths (and pitfalls) compared with before.
We thank Socialgiver for helping these girls prepare for their future success!